The Advance Guard is a group of a few witches and wizards who have shown outstanding merit in Defense Against the Dark Arts, having put it to use on numerous occasions. The Advance Guard is used as security at special events of Walpurgis, voluntarily, or for transport. For one to be part of the Advance Guard, he or she must receive a nomination that is agreed upon by all of the members, then that person may decide whether they wish to join.
The group was formed by Alastor Moody, a highly skilled Auror, in 1996.
Members of the Advance Guard
- Alastor Moody, former Auror and current Head of the Auror Office
- Remus Lupin, former Hit Wizard
- Kingsley Shacklebolt, former Auror and current Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement
- Nymphadora Tonks, current Auror
- Harold James Potter, former Auror
- Emmeline Vance, former Hit Wizard
In some cases, the Advance Guard provides protection and transport to certain witches and wizards who require it. The escort consists of all members on broomsticks, flying in formation with Tonks in front of the person being transported, Lupin underneath, Moody behind, and the rest circling. The three members who circle, Shacklebolt, Potter and Vance, are known as the rear guard, so that if anything happens to the advance guard the rear guard can take over, but this is never necessary. Vance would fly in front, Potter underneath, and Shacklebolt riding behind.